HCVP Tenant-Based Voucher Program

How it Works

What are housing choice vouchers?

The tenant based housing choice voucher program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments.

The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program. The Housing Authority of Chester County (HACC) is the agency that administers the program for all of Chester County.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the HACC.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the HACC on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the HACC, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the HACC based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, HACC must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income. Median income levels are published by HUD annually and vary by location. Income limits are listed on this HACC website.

During the application process, the HACC will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Your position on the waiting list will be determined by the time you apply and whether or not you qualify for certain preferences based on your family circumstances. Those preferences are listed and defined on this website (please refer to pull down menu labeled "Preferences").

Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the HACC will contact you and call you in to attend a briefing to determine your final qualification for a housing voucher.

The HACC will verify this information with other local agencies, your employer and bank, and will use the information to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment. If all information is correctly verified you will be issued a voucher.

How do I apply?

If you are interested in applying for a voucher, contact HACC when the waiting list is declared open. The HACC website will announce the status of the Section 8 waiting list as either open or closed.

Local preferences and waiting list - what are they and how do they affect me? Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are common. In fact, a PHA such as HACC may close its waiting list when it has more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future.

As mentioned above, PHAs may establish local preferences for selecting applicants from its waiting list. For example, PHAs may give a preference to a family who is (1) homeless or living in substandard housing, (2) paying more than 50% of its income for rent, or (3) involuntarily displaced. Families who qualify for any such local preferences move ahead of other families on the list who do not qualify for any preference. Each PHA has the discretion to establish local preferences to reflect the housing needs and priorities of its particular community. HACC has developed such preferences and they apply to this program. Please consult the pull down menu labeled "Preferences".

Housing vouchers - how do they function?

The housing choice voucher program places the choice of housing in the hands of the individual family. A very low-income family is selected by the HACC to participate is encouraged to consider several housing choices to secure the best housing for the family needs. A housing voucher holder is advised of the unit size for which it is eligible based on the number of persons comprising the family. Voucher holders have sixty calendar days to find and lease a suitable unit with the possibility of a sixty extension if necessary. Failure to finds a unit within the specified time will result in termination of the voucher.

The housing unit selected by the family must meet an acceptable level of health and safety before the HACC can approve the unit. When the voucher holder finds a unit that it wishes to occupy and reaches an agreement with the landlord over the lease terms, the HACC must inspect the dwelling and determine that the rent requested is reasonable.

The HACC determines a payment standard that is the amount generally needed to rent a moderately-priced dwelling unit in the local housing market and that is used to calculate the amount of housing assistance a family will receive. However the payment standard does not limit and does not affect the amount of rent a landlord may charge or the family may pay. A family which receives a housing voucher can select a unit with a rent that is below or above the payment standard. The housing voucher family must pay 30% of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities, and if the unit rent is greater than the payment standard the family is required to pay the additional amount. By law, whenever a family moves to a new unit where the rent exceeds the payment standard, the family may not pay more than 40 percent of its adjusted monthly income for rent.

The rent subsidy

The HACC calculates the maximum amount of housing assistance allowable. The maximum housing assistance is generally the lesser of the payment standard minus 30% of the family's monthly adjusted income or the gross rent for the unit minus 30% of monthly adjusted income.

Can I move and continue to receive housing choice voucher assistance?

A family's housing needs change over time with changes in family size, job locations, and for other reasons. The housing choice voucher program is designed to allow families to move without the loss of housing assistance. Moves are permissible as long as the family notifies the HACC ahead of time, terminates its existing lease within the lease provisions, and finds acceptable alternate housing.

New voucher holders must initially lease a unit within Chester County for the first twelve months of assistance. A family that wishes to move to another PHA's jurisdiction must consult with the HACC to verify the procedures for moving.

Roles: the tenant, the landlord, the housing agency and HUD Once HACC approves an eligible family's housing unit, the family and the landlord sign a lease and, at the same time, the landlord and the HACC sign a housing assistance payments contract that runs for the same term as the lease. This means that everyone -- tenant, landlord and the HACC -- has obligations and responsibilities under the voucher program.

Tenant's Obligations: When a family selects a housing unit, and the HACC approves the unit and lease, the family signs a lease with the landlord for at least one year. The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit to the landlord. After the first year the landlord may initiate a new lease or allow the family to remain in the unit on a month-to-month lease.

When the family is settled in a new home, the family is expected to comply with the lease and the program requirements, pay its share of rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition and notify the HACC of any changes in income or family composition.

Landlord's Obligations: The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the HACC.

Housing Authority's Obligations: The HACC administers the voucher program locally. The HACC provides a family with the housing assistance that enables the family to seek out suitable housing and the HACC enters into a contract with the landlord to provide housing assistance payments on behalf of the family. If the landlord fails to meet the owner's obligations under the lease, the HACC has the right to terminate assistance payments. The HACC must reexamine the family's income and composition at least annually and must inspect each unit at least annually to ensure that it meets minimum housing quality standards.

HUD's Role: To cover the cost of the program, HUD provides funds to allow HACC to make housing assistance payments on behalf of the families. HUD also pays the HACC a fee for the costs of administering the program. When additional funds become available to assist new families, HUD invites PHAs to submit applications for funds for additional housing vouchers. Applications are then reviewed and funds awarded to the selected PHAs on a competitive basis. HUD monitors PHA administration of the program to ensure program rules are properly followed.

Additional Information and other subsidy programs

For additional information about the voucher program, contact HACC directly. Review the information contained in other sections of our website. It is very helpful and may answer most questions. Also please remember that HACC administers a public housing program and a Section 8 Project Based Voucher Program. Information on both of those is available on our website. Applicants for the housing choice voucher program may also ask to be placed on the waiting list for either of those two programs. HUD also administers other subsidized programs and you may obtain a list of programs in your area from the Office of Housing at your local HUD office.